Giving back to the community is important. It lets the society around you know that you care and want to establish something that will hopefully last a generation or two. But sometimes you run into a grumpy old fart who shouldn't be a part of something and they just need to severe their ties and call it quits.
For example, I'm on a board. We contracted some duties to be done through this grumpy fart who gets paid a pretty penny to do nominal tasks. He often complains that he's over worked and stretched too thin. He has a hard time delegating and thinks that every volunteer associated with our organization will in some way let him down. He has some serious control issues and yet is unwilling, now, to put in the time necessary to complete any of the tasks he is getting paid for. Yet, he hasn't performed at all on the short time I've been on the board and I'm wondering why we're paying him?
Rereading my post - I just had a light go off in my head. I've been able to avoid dealing directly with him up until this point and knew better than talking with him. Well suddenly he has thrown himself into my path -and I'm reacting to his negativity. I just need to remind myself to stay the hell away from his grumpy ass and all will be better.
Last week he announced he's stepping down. Suddenly, things started to get a little brighter. The gloom will be gone and we'll actually be able to start functioning without a constant pessimistic presence. Fantastic. We'll see what evolves as time goes on. My buddy thinks that the grumpy old fart won't be able to cut his ties and will come back to haunt us in some shape or form. Let's hope not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment